SMALL GROUP MATERIAL
KEY SCRIPTURE: John 15:1-12 and Matthew 18:20
GROUP DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
- What stuck out to you tonight in the devotional message?
- Do you think your Church is kind of a big deal? Why or why not?
- When people who attend churches criticize their church, what are some of the main topics they might talk about?
- When people who don’t attend church criticize church, what are some of the main topics they might talk about?
- If you were to put how you feel about the Church on a scale of 0 to 10, 0 being, I think the Church is absolutely useless and a waste of time to 10 being, I love the Church and can’t imagine my life apart from it, where would you rate your own feelings? Explain.
- What is one thing specifically that you could do to impact others view of the Church in a positive way? (If they say something like “love people”, ask them to be more specific)
OUTWARD PRAYER – Prayer for others
WHAT’S THE POINT?
The Church is a big deal when she resembles her leader. (Jesus, not Chris, Joel or Keith)
John 15:1-12 – These set of verses describe the Church in their connectedness to Jesus and what he intends regarding love. It is clear that Jesus has high expectations of us as His Church and that those expectations are met as we remain connected to Him.
Matthew 18:20 – We could focus on the 2 or 3 in this passage, but I think it’s important to focus on the “in my name.” When people gather in Christ’s name, they gather with the attention to follow His agenda, not their own.
Here are a few ideas for grabbing the attention of youth and pointing them towards the topic:
- Share this video of “Anchorman – Ron Burgundy – I’m kind of a big deal” to introduce the topic: https://youtu.be/Hzx8KHjQD6c saying “Ron Burgundy thought he was a “big deal” and tried to pick up a girl with the amazing facts about himself. Ron Burgundy may not have been a “big deal” but tonight we’re going to talk about how actually “My Church is Kind of a Big Deal.” You could then invite youth to say some amazing facts about their church or Beulah Youth that make it a big deal.
- Share a story of when you met someone really famous or someone who thought they were really famous. Talk about the reasons that made them a “big deal.” Then transition to talking about how the Church is a big deal.
WHY DO I CARE?
- As a follower of Jesus, I don’t just attend a church (that I may like or not like because of music, teaching, people, etc.), I am the Church
- I have an opportunity to change people’s perspective of the Church by changing myself
- The more I resemble Jesus, the more the Church resembles Him, and the more I fulfill what I am created to be and feel fulfilled
WHAT DO I DO?
- Ask Jesus to reveal His heart of love towards the Church and how He sees her
- Invite Jesus to transform my own heart to align with His love for the Church
- Ask Jesus where I am not resembling his plan and purpose for the Church
- Invite Jesus to transform my actions in that regard