THE MAIN POINT
The Fruit of the Spirit, are behavior patterns that result from the presence of the Holy Spirit in the followers of Jesus.
“Fruit of the Spirit” is a term found in the Book of Galatians, which is where the Apostle Paul is talking to the Churches in Galatia who have been led astray from the Gospel of Christ and reverted back to the Law of Moses. As Paul explains that we are justified by faith in Jesus Christ, he brings in the Fruit of the Spirit which is how we are to live as redeemed Children of God.
How will people learn God’s will? Jesus fulfilled God’s law on our behalf. And He lives in us through God’s Holy Spirit. When we live by Jesus’ Fruits of the Spirit, we become people of love, which fulfills God’s commandment to love others as ourselves.
The Fruit of the Spirit are: Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness & Self-control.
What are the attributes of a piece of fruit? Paul references fruit in the singular, meaning they all come together to produce a single work. So when we incorporate each of the nine fruits into our life, we are living as authentic followers of Jesus.
- LOVE – Self-giving for the highest good of others. Unconditional commitment.
- JOY – Delight. Gladness. A divine expression of the Spirit’s presence.
- PEACE – Harmony between individuals and groups. Life-sustaining unity.
- PATIENCE – Steadfastness. Longsuffering. Bearing burdens and trials without complaining.
- KINDNESS – Gracious actions and attitudes toward imperfect people. Mercy. Uprightness. Easy to be around.
- GOODNESS – Generosity. Usefulness. Moral Excellence.
- FAITHFULNESS – Ethical. Trustworthy. Reliable. Acts on conviction.
- GENTLENESS – Meekness. Humble disposition towards God’s will. Not aggressive or driven by anger.
- SELF-CONTROL – Restraint of emotions, actions, and desires in order to be in harmony with God’s will. Self-sacrificing.
As you prepare the core of the message using personal story and questions keep in mind these points:
- Fruit deals with attitude. How we live reflects what we believe, who we worship, and what we value.
- Fruit can only be obtained in submission to Jesus and empowerment of the Holy Spirit. Fruit is not simply about being a good person. Fruit is the product of submission and empowerment.
- Jesus says “everyone will know that you are my disciples if you love one another.” (John 13:35) The Fruit of the Spirit are not primarily designed by God to make Christians seem nice. They are to let the world know who Jesus is, what following him looks like, and that there is hope for the future.
As you prepare the application, challenge and/or encouragement, keep in mind these points:
- How exactly do we develop the fruits of the spirit? If we live by the fruit of the spirit, we need to be cultivated. Paul says, If we live in the Spirit, we have to keep in step with the Spirit. We have to learn how to cultivate our bad habits and learn new ones. Through this Spirit, Jesus makes us into people who love God and others.
- Understand that works, alone, do not save you. Accepting Jesus Christ as your Savior by grace through faith is what saves you. But once you’re saved, the Holy Spirit starts working in you to produce the Fruit of the Spirit. Show that fruit, every day, as often as you can. That is how you demonstrate your faith.