THE MAIN POINT
The most powerful story you can share is your story told through God’s story.
As we love like Jesus, people will ask “why.” We should always be ready to share our story.
1 Peter 3:15
In John chapter 9 there is a story of Jesus encountering a blind man. Jesus performs a miracle and the man can see, it’s incredible! Jesus continues on his way, yet the man’s neighbours are in shock, and bring him to see the Pharisees. The Pharisees begin to quiz him while accusing Jesus of breaking their laws and being a sinner. The blind man responds in a fascinating way, saying, “Whether he is a sinner or not, I don’t know. One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!”
There are multiple encounters like this, where Jesus heals someone, performs a miracle, and changes someone’s situation. And their responses are often very similar: “I don’t really know all the answers, but this is my new reality.”
The most powerful story we can share is our story told through God’s story. We may not have every answer to every question, but we can speak of our current reality in following Jesus. Peter writes in his letter that we are to always be ready to share the reason why we have hope in Jesus. For the blind man, it simply was that he could now see. Sometimes a single phrase of testimony can set events in motion that affect someone’s life for eternity.
As you prepare the core of the message using personal story and questions keep in mind these points:
- Share your story of why you have hope in Jesus.
- Can your audience identify a moment when Jesus changed their situation or reality?
- Sharing our story within God’s story is so important. Human beings have always and will always engage in stories. Being able to know, understand and share our story can have huge implications for those listening.
- Peter’s instructions to share our story live in 3 attributes: gentleness, respect, and a clear conscience. Think about how your listener could do this.
As you prepare the application, challenge and/or encouragement, keep in mind these points:
- Personal testimonies are one of the most influential tools the Holy Spirit uses to stir spiritual interest and point people toward Christ.
- Remember it’s not just about how God and the gospel fit into your story, but also about how your story fits into the greater story of the gospel.
- If you haven’t shared the gospel in your testimony, you haven’t really shared your testimon