SMALL GROUP MATERIAL
SMALL GROUP DISCUSSION
- What stood out to you tonight in the message? Why do you think that was especially a highlight for you?
- Other than singing, what are some other ways you worship God?
(Leaders, let youth respond, but here are some ideas to prime the pump: nature, running, biking, skiing, snowboarding, listening to or creating your own music, reflecting on the gift of a good friend, serving someone, eating, etc.)
- How does that experience you just mentioned (Leaders, feel free to remind them what they said if need be) reflect the goodness and love of God, God’s inspired creativity or God’s absolute worthiness
- Are there particular places, spaces, and times that you find it easier to connect with and worship God? Why do you think that is?
- What are you going to do differently to worship God this week?
*Added to your outward prayer in this one, feel free to ask God to show you the places and spaces that are uniquely yours to connect with and worship God?
WHAT’S THE POINT? Worship is More Than Singing
“You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.” Revelation 4:11
“Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.” Matthew 4:10
“And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice – the kind he will find acceptable. This is the way to truly worship him.” Romans 12:1-2
So Will I – You Tube
WHY DO I CARE?
The simple truth is that everybody looks to something or someone to give their lives meaning. Worship reveals the somethings or someones we value most. What we love and adore and focus on forms us into the people we become. True worship doesn’t happen when we are in a worship service, singing our favourite worship songs, although this is one expression of worship. True worship happens when we put God first in our lives. Worship can touch our deepest feelings, but that’s not the test of true worship. God asks us to live our whole lives in a posture of worship – humility, wonder, listening, praise, and above everything else love – love for God, love for each other, and love for the world that God created.
WHAT DO I DO?
- All of my life is worship
- My Time
- My Social Media
- My Relationships
- My Work – school, chores, jobs
- Worship is the six days before Sunday
- We can worship God at any time and in any place
- Taking care of creation – not littering
- Prayer life
- setting aside time to pray and listen
- praying/talking to God throughout the day (1 Thess 5:17)
- breath prayers
- We can worship no matter how we “feel”
- coming to God honestly with frustration, anger, disappointment honours God while affirming that God is big enough to handle whatever we are feeling and encountering.
- Worship is a posture, not an activity
- God invites us into God’s story – God is the main actor and we are witnesses to what God is doing in the world
- A posture of humility asks, “God what are you up to? How can I be a part of it?”