2020-11-4 The Bible: Just Do It
SMALL GROUP MATERIAL
SMALL GROUP DISCUSSION
- What stood out to you in tonight’s talk?
- When it comes to reading your Bible whats your biggest struggle?
- What benefits do you experiences personally when you take time to read your Bible?
- What practices do you do now to help you read your Bible?
- Out of the 5 top tips or things mentioned from one of the leaders stories, what impacted you and what are you going to do to make a difference about it in your own life with reading the Word?
- Accountability can be a helpful thing, especially when starting off reading the Bible if you haven’t in a while. Some students may need help with that, so talk about this, the need and form a plan as a small group to help keep everyone accountable. Check in the following week when everyone is back.
THE BIBLE: JUST DO IT
Week 2 Nov 2-8
WHATS THE POINT?
You know it’s trustworthy
So now it’s time to use it to change your life.
“All scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good
“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.”
2 Timothy 3:16-17 Psalm 119:105
“But he answered, “it is written, “”Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that
comes from God.”
– Use leader/student testimonies as your intro
– How Not to read your bible video. (FUNNY)
WHY DO I CARE?
“Nobody ever outgrows Scripture; the book widens and deepens with our years.” -Charles Spurgeon
“Don’t fall into the trap of studying the Bible without doing what it says.” -Francis Chan
What do you know about the Bible? DID YOU KNOW QUICK FIRE (you can add in a couple of your own if you have some other interesting ones but the idea is to engage the youth in some facts about the Bible they may have missed).
– Did you know that there was a guy in the Bible who had to cook his food over his own poop and then eventually was told by God that if he didn’t continue the things God has requested he’d have to eat his own poop! (Ezekiel 4:9).
- Or that Noah spent 70 YEARS of his life building the ark!
- Or that the Bible talks about alcohol and sex.
- How about when Samson caught 300 foxes and tied them tail to tail in pairs. He then fastened a torch to each pair of tails.
- Or the time Jesus turned water into wine
- And another one thats pretty cool, ever hear of Balaam and his donkey? Well Balaam started to punish the donkey for refusing to move, and sure enough it speaks back to Balaam, and complains about the treatment he was getting. Some may say he’s like Donkey from Shrek
In the Bible there are an array of stories from the crazy ones that cause us to maybe say, “What the heck?” to the stories that captivate us in learning something new to make us better, and even lesson of what God has done for us as His children and what He has in store for us including our purpose! But we don’t get a look at any of this without opening and reading our Bibles and diving into God’s Word and His words.
You see the Bible is a huge story from beginning to end, it comes with 66 books each with its own stories and connecting stories, its written by about 40 authors, and created in different styles and writings, from lineage, to poems, to stories of how people won battles, and even a look into the future. We even learnt last week about its authenticity, the basis for its truth. Its wild when you think about it, but you would never know any of this unless you open your Bible and read it. And as quoted before, the Bible “widens and deepens as the years go” but we must be willing and determined to read what Gods got for us in order to learn from it and implement it in our own lives. Our faith will not grow or develop and we will never learn or hear from God unless we open our Bibles and read what God and many other authors have written for us.
And we said this talk is called “JUST DO IT” so you may be wondering what that looks like. Well for me (whoever is doing the main talk tell your own brief personal story of how reading your Bible impacts your life and how you do it. You can mention how its helped you from worrying, or learning more about God or trusting God more when times are tough whatever your story is).
I could talk till I am blue in the face about the importance of reading your Bible but right now we’re going to have other people chime in on the importance the Bible has been in their life and hows its transformed them. (**60 secs per person).
Person 1 (Leader) Person 2 (Youth) Person 3 (Leader)
The Bible is a transformative tool for our life, we have the opportunity to learn grow, and become close to God by digging into His Word. So what can you do about it?
WHAT DO I DO?
- Don’t know where to start? Start with the book of Mark. It’s 16 chapters and you can read it straight through in 2 hours. Easy. The gospels are a chance to hear the stories, get a view into the life of Jesus and even God’s purpose and lessons for our lives.
- Journalling/Art: Be creative when you read your Bible.You can journal along with what you are reading, paint or create a picture next to the scripture that you like or are trying to memorize. Be creative with it, and maybe get a journalling Bible if this is something you are in to. If you don’t have a Bible let your small group leader know and we will get you a Bible.
- Ask Questions: when you start reading supposing its in the Gospels, or Revelation or somewhere in the Old Testament you are bound to have questions so write them down, message us or bring them to youth and we will help you answer them! It is important to understand what the Bible is saying, its meaning and we are here to help you with that so don’t be afraid to ask.
- Start a Bible Reading Plan: the Bible app is full of reading plans, from a day to day basis, to a weekly one, to a plan that could get you through the whole year. You can even search a specific topic like depression, strength, God’s love, etc., and read a plan based on that. And to make it even better you can share it with others, hold your small group accountable, encourage them with scripture and journey together with your friends as you take time reading your Bible.
- Use Tools to Help: the Bible Project on Youtube is full of videos about the Bible, you can search any topic and it will have a visual video explaining and little more in-depth about that subject. And if you are in to videos and prefer listening, then Right Now Media is another source, you can get a free account and have access to devotionals, Bible studies from a variety of authors, along with videos themed to specific topics.
So in conclusion you can do this, I believe it. Some times it takes a moment to get into the routine and to fit it in, but after you do it will be the most rewarding thing you’ve experienced. You’ve learnt all about the Bible you got the tips and you got leaders here to support you along the way so let this moment change your life.