THE MAIN POINT
When you live by the Fruit of the Spirit, your faith becomes active, alive, and good for those around you.
Galatians 5:25-26 | John 15:1-7
How exactly do we develop the fruits of the spirit?
If we live by the fruit of the spirit, we need to be cultivated. Paul says, If we live in the Spirit, we have to keep in step with the Spirit. We have to learn how to cultivate our habits and attitudes and learn new ones. Through the Spirit, Jesus makes us into people who love God and others.
In order to live out each fruit consistently, we must continue to surrender our desires to God’s will and trust Him. As we grow and continue to imitate Christ’s nature, we will activate and strengthen living out the Fruit of the Spirit each day. How do we know we are living out the fruit of the Spirit? 1. Others call it out in us. 2. We draw closer to Jesus. 3. Others draw closer to Jesus.
Living out each fruit is directly connected to our dependence on God’s spirit with our actions. The good news is that God desires us to be spirit-filled.
The Fruit of the Spirit is not an outdated list of traits but is active, necessary, and relevant today.
As you prepare the core of the message using personal stories and questions keep in mind these points:
- We do not live out the Fruit of the Spirit to be loved more by God. God already loves us. We live out the Fruit of the Spirit because it is an overflow of following Jesus.
- When we live out the characteristics of the Fruit of the Spirit it gives our life greater purpose and joy.
- When we live out the Fruit of the Spirit it benefits those around us, building others up, and draws more people to the love of God.
- Each Fruit of the Spirit represents Jesus working through us and reminds us each and every day that we can respond differently to our situations through the eyes of Jesus.
- Given how much disunity, confusion, and corruption we see in our culture. The world is desperate for relationships with people of good character, and Fruit of the Spirit qualities.
As you prepare the application, challenge and/or encouragement, keep in mind these points:
- Fruit is produced as we stay connected to Jesus. (John 15) How are your listeners staying connected to Jesus?
- The sign of a healthy follower of Jesus is their love for God & others. How can you help your listeners realize this, and how can this be measured?
- Fruit starts to change us and those around us. Where is your listener experiencing the most life-change in their life and their friends life in following Jesus?