2023- Jan 18 | The Gospel of Mark: Healing Power
SMALL GROUP MATERIAL
Small Group Questions:
- Whom in your small group has the most gruesome injury story?
- How would you explain God’s “healing nature” to a friend wanting to know more about him?
- We are encouraged to always pray for healing, but sometimes healing doesn’t seem to happen. Why do you think that is?
- What is so significant about Mark 5:34?
- Share stories of a miracle God has done in your life, or someone else’s life that you know.
THE MAIN POINT
The Gospel of Mark highlights, that God is in the business of redeeming and healing us physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
Mark 5:25-34, Psalm 147:3
As discussed last week, the Gospel of Mark showcases Jesus’ actions more than his teachings. Through his actions, we see the character of God as a healer, redeemer, and restorer.
The Gospel of Mark showcases 18 miracles within 16 chapters. There is a huge theme within Mark, as Jesus is the healer not only the physical but emotional and spiritual health too.
- Jesus calms the storm (Mark 4:35–41)
- Jesus feeds five thousand (Mark 6:30–44)
- Jesus walks on water (Mark 6:45–52)
Miracles of healing- Evil spirits
- A man with an evil spirit (Mark 1:21–28)
- A man with evil spirits (The Gerasene Demoniac) (Mark 5:1–20)
- The Syro-Phoenician woman’s daughter (Mark 7:24–30)
- The boy with the evil spirit (Mark 9:14–29)
Miracles of healing – physical illness
- Jesus heals many people (Simon’s mother-in-law) (Mark 1:29–34).
- Jesus heals a man with a dreaded skin disease (Mark 1:40–45)
- Jesus heals a paralyzed man (Mark 2:1–12)
- The man with the paralyzed hand (Mark 3:1–6)
- Jesus heals the hemorrhagic (Mark 5:25–34)
- Jairus’ daughter (Mark 5:21–42)
As you prepare the core of the message using personal stories and questions keep in mind these points:
- Jesus is in the business of redeeming us, not only physically but emotionally, and spiritually because this is the way of the kingdom of God.
- Miracles demonstrated the urgency that the Kingdom of God is here.
- It is not always God’s will to heal someone on this side of eternity but it is always God’s will to bless someone.
As you prepare the application, challenge and/or encouragement, keep in mind these points:
- Pose the question, “What do you need healing in your life for?”
- Pray for healing, whatever that may be, where do you need God to step in?
- Take time to reflect on the Mark 5:34